At a recent meeting, a guest asked if we could suggest where he could find a read and critique group.
Here's a blog post that explains better than I could why taking part in a read and critique group is important.
That guest's question prompted me to go looking online for groups in the San Diego Area. Here are the results of that search:
Several ongoing read and critique groups meet at San Diego Writers Ink. The cost of membership in these groups is $100 per month for members and $125 for non-members. (Hint - membership costs $35 per year so join first.) Check the listing for a specific group to see if there are openings since the groups are kept intentionally small enough to be of value to participants.
- Read and Critique with Mark Clements
- Friday afternoons - http://www.sandiegowriters.org/afternoon-weekly-read-and-critique-with-mark-clements/
- Wednesday evenings - http://www.sandiegowriters.org/mark-clements-weekly-read-critique/
- Read and Critique with T. Greenwood
- Monday mornings - http://www.sandiegowriters.org/weekly-mon-10-am-read-critique-with-t-greenwood/
- Thursday mornings - http://www.sandiegowriters.org/weekly-thurs-10am-read-and-critique-with-t-greenwood/
- Wednesday evenings - http://www.sandiegowriters.org/weekly-fiction-read-critique-with-t-greenwood/
- Read and Critique with Rich Farrell
- Read and Critique with Carlos de los Rios
- Read and Critique with Marnie Freedman ($60 for members; $72 for non-members)
- Twice a month Tuesdays afternoons - http://www.sandiegowriters.org/0204-twice-monthly-am-read-and-critique-with-marni-freedman/
San Diego Professional Writer’s Group also hosts a read and critique group, but it is currently full. Check back later to see if there is an opening - https://sdwriters.wordpress.com/about/ (currently full)
Online options for read and critique are also available.
- Critique Circle – Online option - http://www.critiquecircle.com/
- The Critters Workshop - http://www.critters.org/c/queue.php
- Hatrack River Writers Workshop - http://www.hatrack.com/writers/index.shtml
Occasional read and critique sessions are available through local organizations and educational institutions:
If you know of other groups, especially those that meet informally without cost which would welcome additional participants, please reply using the comment section below.