The Writers' Workshop of Asheville, NC (TWWOA), a nonprofit writing center founded in 1985, announces online classes and a new Humor Me Contest (for relief from current news), open to any writer regardless of residence or experience.
TWWOA sponsors several contests each year as fundraisers. We at SDWEG announce their contests since our two organizations have similar objectives for both published and yet-to-be published writers. Our own Peggy Hinaekian recently won third prize in TWWOA's memoir contest. (FYI: Their next memoir contest deadline for submission is November 30, 2020.)
TWWOA Offers Online Classes
Online writing classes are being offered beginning May 15 throughout the spring and summer. Classes will include work on novels, fiction, memoirs, poetry, creative nonfiction, and more. Check out their website for more information on workshops and classes.
The Workshop also offers online one-on-one tutorials for any writer, regardless of experience. Whether you need help getting started and sticking to a schedule or how to polish your work for publication, TWWOA is there to help.
If you'd like more information on setting up a meeting via Zoom, on the phone, or by email, contact TWWOA at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mention your name, email, genre of writing, and any questions regarding your work. TWWOA will set up a meeting at your convenience.
TWWOA Humor Me Writing Contest
Your humorous writing, fiction or nonfiction, of 5,000 words or less is eligible for submission to this new TWWOA contest. Use of witty, dry humor is encouraged. Submissions may be by email (in Word format to email@example.com) or by hard copy through regular mail sent to Humor Contest, 387 Beaucatcher Road, Asheville, NC 28805.
- Paper submission pages should be paper clipped.
- Your name, address, phone and title of work should be on the first page.
- Submissions must be doublespaced in 12 point font.
- Mention if this is fiction or not.
- Emailed submissions may be sent in Word doc attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Humor Contest” in the subject.
- The entry fee is payable by check or online at www.twwoa.org,
The entry fee per story is $25/$20 Workshop members. Multiple entries are accepted. Enclose self-sealing SASE for critique and list of winners. Make check or money order payable to The Writers’ Workshop, and mail to: Humor Contest, 387 Beaucatcher Road, Asheville, NC 28805.
Deadline: May 30, 2020.
- 1ST Place: Your choice of a 2 night stay at our Mountain Muse B&B in Asheville; or 3 free workshops (in person or online); or 50 pages line-edited and revised by our editorial staff.
- 2nd Place: Two free workshops; or 35 pages line-edited
- 3rd Place: One free workshop, or 25 pages line-edited
- 10 Honorable Mentions
THE RENBOURNE EDITORIAL AGENCY provides expert assistance with revising and editing your work—memoirs, fiction or creative nonfiction. We use a fine-tooth comb to ready your work for publication. For details, please contact www.renbourne.com, or call 828-254-8111.The Renbourne Editorial Agency is a division of The Writers' Workshop of Asheville, NC, a non-profit literary center founded in 1985.