Clare Pister, KPBS Community Engagement Manager, has shared the following One Book, One San Diego-related events this summer.
Sunday, June 10; 9 am - 4 pm: Book Club Bingo @ the Central Library. Join One Book partner The Library Shop and Adventures by the Book for Book Club Bingo. Featuring 21 authors, this all-day book club adventure is filled with food, panel discussions, book signings, and the opportunity to interact with participating authors. Tickets are $60 and include food and a signed copy of New York Times bestselling author Jenna Blum’s new book! Just select "KPBS Member" from the drop-down menu as you check out.
Wednesday, June 13; 7:30 pm: Gail Honeyman @ Warwick’s Books. Warwick’s will host author Gail Honeyman to discuss and sign her novel, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, which was short-listed for the Lucy Cavendish Fiction Prize. Free.
Sunday, June 24; 4 pm: Fredrik Backman @ La Jolla Riford Branch Library. Warwick's and the La Jolla Riford Library will host New York Times bestselling writer Fredrik Backman, author of A Man Called Ove, in conversation with Seth Lerer, Distinguished Professor of Literature at UC San Diego. Backman will discuss and sign his newest book, Us Against You.
DID YOU KNOW? Many university libraries, including One Book partners the San Diego State University Love Library, University of San Diego Copley Library, UC San Diego Geisel Library and Point Loma Nazarene Ryan Library, are open to the public. These wonderful community resources are available to you in the following ways:
- Use books and materials in open collections within the library
- Use designated guest computers
- Access (free) campus Wi-Fi
- Most allow access to electronic resources within the library
- Access federal and state publications within the library
- Obtain assistance from the research services desk
Furthermore, each library has special collections that you are invited to peruse and enjoy. Here are just a few to note:
- SDSU Love Library has archives of the San Diego Union (from 1871) and the Union Tribune online for those interested in local history.
- UC San Diego Geisel Library is home of the Dr. Seuss Collection, a modest selection of original drawings by beloved children’s author Theodor Seuss Geisel. A more extensive showcase of his whimsical and fantastical creatures, "Boids & Beasties," can be viewed every summer along with a special “Happy Birthday to You!” exhibition to celebrate his birthday in March.
- USD Copley Library's special collections materials are located in the beautiful Mother Rosalie Hill Reading Room and may be viewed by appointment.
Until next time, happy reading!