The Writers’ Workshop of Asheville, a non-profit organization based in Asheville, NC, asked the Guild to promote their 27th Annual Memoirs Competition. The Writers' Workshop uses contests, including the memoir contest, to raise funds, much as the Guild uses our anthology as our fundraiser. Because the Writers' Workshop and the San Diego Writers and Editors Guild have similar missions, we agreed to assist in making a broader audience aware of their contest.
The Writers’ Workshop was established in 1985 to promote writers and writing through a diverse program of literary events. As the only non-profit literary center in Western North Carolina, they work to serve readers and writers of all backgrounds. Since their inception, over 21,000 adults, teens, and children have participated in their workshops, seminars, readings, contests and retreats. The Writers’ Workshop has played a vital role in sponsoring and promoting local and regional events that showcase the literary arts.
Their programs include classes in fiction, poetry, non-fiction, playwriting, journal writing, children’s books, screenwriting, and more. Programs are held in Asheville and Charlotte, North Carolina. Their Distinguished Author Series is comprised of readings, lectures, discussions, and book signings by prestigious authors such as: Peter Matthiessen, E.L. Doctorow, Eudora Welty, Reynolds Price, John Le Carre, Kurt Vonnegut, Gail Godwin, Peter Taylor, Bobbie Ann Mason, Don De Lillo, Nikki Giovanni, Simon Ortiz, Alex Haley, Lee Smith, Pat Conroy, Sue Monk Kidd, Robert Creeley, Josephine Humphreys, Mark Mathabane, Yevgeny Yevtushenko, Allan Gurganus, William Kinsella, Clyde Edgerton, Robert Morgan, John Ehle, Kathryn Stripling Byer ... and many more.
The Workshop sponsors annual contests in poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, and memoirs for adults and children. They also offer manuscript critiquing and editing services; retreats and seminars; and have initiated numerous writers’ and poets’ support groups.
The current contest is their memoir contest.
Deadline: Postmarked by November 30, 2017.
- Submit a memoir of 5,000 words or less. Multiple entries are accepted.
- Pages should be paper clipped, with your name, address, phone, and title of work on a cover sheet. Double-space and use 12 point font.
- The entry fee per submission is $25 ($20 for Workshop members). Entry fee is payable online.
- Enclose legal size self-sealing SASE for critique and list of winners. Do not send via Fedex, certified mail, etc.
- Make check or money order payable to The Writers’ Workshop, and mail to:
Memoirs Contest, 387 Beaucatcher Road, Asheville, NC 28805.
- Emailed submission may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Memoirs Contest" in the subject.
AWARDS FOR ALL CONTESTS:
- 1ST PLACE: Choice of a 2-night stay at their Mountain Muse B&B, 3 free workshops, or 50 pages (or 10 poems) line-edited and revised by our editorial staff
- 2nd PLACE: Choice of a 1-night stay at our B&B, 2 free workshops, or 35 pages (or 8 poems) line-edited
- 3rd PLACE: Choice of 1 free workshop, or 25 pages (or 5 poems) line-edited
- Up to 10 Honorable Mentions