San Diego Writers and Editors Guild
Manuscript Review Program
The Manuscript Review Program is one of the benefits of SDWEG membership. Members of the Guild may submit up to 30 pages of their fiction, nonfiction, or memoir for evaluation by the Guild's Manuscript Review Committee (MRC), consisting of a Coordinator and a selected panel of three (3) Reviewers. The Author’s identity is never known by the Reviewers, and the Reviewers’ identities are never known by the Author. In the event a Reviewer has prior knowledge of the Work submitted, that Work will be assigned to a different Reviewer. The fee is $20.
NOTE: All submissions are now preferred in MS Word format. Should this not be practical, (1) paper copy of 3-pg and 30-pg submissions may still be made.
The Reviewers will first critique a three (3) page Preview submission. Upon its acceptance based on merit, the Author will be asked to submit the balance of the Work, up to a Maximum of thirty (30) pages. The Reviewers will then critique the Work, annotate as they wish, and complete an appropriate Evaluation Form (linked below). Aggregation of these evaluations will yield one of the following RATINGS:
- Highest Recommendation,
- Highly Recommended,
- Recommended, or
- No Recommendation.
This RATING may be used by the author when contacting agents, editors, publishers, or for other promotion.
To submit your manuscript, download the Manuscript Preview Submission Form or request it by mail or e-mail, and follow the instructions below:
- Prepare three (3) pages for Preview evaluation by the MRC, following formatting guidelines on the second page of the Form. The pages must be the first three pages of the Maximum Pages to be submitted.
- Completed Application form, along with application fee of $20.00 made payable to San Diego Writers and Editors Guild (SDWEG), should be mailed to the MRC Coordinator at the address on the Preview Submission form.
- One (1) copy of the three (3) Preview pages should be emailed to the MRC Coordinator at the email address below. Any pages in excess of three Preview pages will be discarded.
- MRC Reviewers will use the appropriate Evaluation Form from those listed below when preparing their evaluations.
- The MRC will notify the Author if the Work has been accepted for further evaluation in the form of an emailed Request to Submit, accompanied by any comments and/or annotations made by the Reviewers to the Preview submission. If further evaluation is rejected for any reason, the Application Fee will be returned, together with suggested revisions for resubmission.
- If requested, submit one (1) copy of the Maximum (up to thirty) Pages to the MRC Coordinator in MS Word format to the email address below. Any pages in excess of the Maximum will be discarded. Follow the formatting guidelines on the second page of the Application.
- After evaluation of the Maximum Pages by the Review Panel, the MRC will notify the Author in writing of the RATING attained. Copies of the completed evaluation forms and any annotated text will also be forwarded to the author.
If you have any questions, please contact MRC Coordinator, Bob Doublebower, at (760) 505‑6440 or firstname.lastname@example.org.