One of two Writers' Conferences coming up in late October is the Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference. They have sent some great tips for how to network while attending the conference, shared below.
Many of the tips apply to any opportunity you find for networking. So if you're attending the La Jolla Writer's Conference instead of the Writer's Digest Conference, take a look at the tips that do not relate specifically to the Pasadena location of the Writer's Digest Conference.
Tips from Writer's Digest
By now, you’re probably aware of WD’s only West Coast event in 2017—the Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference in Pasadena, California. It’s happening in just a few short weeks and it’s not too late to save your seat. Knowing the standout roster of speakers (including New York Times bestsellers Lisa See, Heather Graham and Neal Shusterman) and the selection of in-depth sessions offered, the value is evident. In fact (and please work with us here), let’s just assume you’re joining us. And that you’re not only coming for all those reasons, you’re also coming to network.
So how, exactly, do you do that again?
Read on for some tangible tips:
- Read up on strategies specific to introverts for overcoming networking angst.
- Check out this oldie-but-goodie on specific tools for conference breaks.
- Meet hundreds of other attendees while enjoying a light breakfast and coffee on Friday morning. It’ll be the perfect way to kick off a productive weekend!
- Peruse these five evergreen networking rules (four of which contradict each other—but don’t worry, it’ll make sense).
Finally, a few specific pieces of advice:
- Once you have registered, join the Novel Writing Conference Facebook group! Be active in the weeks leading up to the conference and make concrete plans with writers in your genre—or just people you click with. Remember, you get out what you put in. Make the most of these relationships!
- Need ideas for meetup locations? Pasadena is delightfully walkable—and the location of the Westin is especially so. Here are some local attractions. Your in-hotel options are here ( poolside chats, anyone?), and here are some nearby restaurants.
- Join the fun at Saturday night’s Halloween-themed Cocktail Reception! (Scroll down to see it listed at the end of the Saturday schedule.) Grab a complimentary drink and, if the spirit strikes you, come as your favorite literary-inspired character. Not only are we handing out prizes for best get-ups, there is no easier icebreaker than, “Tell me about your costume!”
Remember, your best price is only available until Oct. 26! Meet writers from around the world and watch your network grow!
For the second year in a row, the Guild is a sponsoring partner for the Writer's Digest Novel Writing Conference. Guild members are eligible for a $25 discount for the Conference by entering SDWEG17 as the discount code when registering.