Henry Herz writes fantasy and science fiction for children. He will discuss the process of writing for children in general and writing picture books in particular. He will compare the advantages of indie and traditional publishing. Henry will also address process questions, such as establishing an author brand, obtaining an agent, and submitting to publishers.
Henry is one of the two backups for Jonathan Maberry‘s Writers Coffeehouse held the first Sunday of each month from noon until 3:00 p.m. at Mysterious Galaxy. He is represented by Deborah Warren of East/West Literary Agency. He and his sons wrote the following:
- Monster Goose Nursery Rhymes (Pelican, 2015),
- When You Give An Imp A Penny (Pelican, 2016),
- Mabel And The Queen Of Dreams (Schiffer, 2016),
- Little Red Cuttlefish (Pelican, 2016), and
- Cap’n Rex & His Clever Crew (Sterling, 2017),
Coming up in 2018 and 2019:
- Good Egg & Bad Apple (Schiffer, 2018),
- How The Squid Got Two Long Arms (Pelican, 2018),
- Alice’s Magic Garden (Familius, 2018),
- Two Pirates + One Robot (Kane Miller, 2019), and
- Sherlock Chick & Bunny Watson (Pelican, 2019).
Henry and his sons have also indie-published four children’s books. Nimpentoad reached #1 in Kindle Best Sellers large print sci-fi & fantasy, and was featured in Young Entrepreneur, Wired GeekDad, and CNN. Beyond The Pale featured short stories by award-winning and New York Times bestselling authors Saladin Ahmed, Peter S. Beagle, Heather Brewer, Jim Butcher, Rachel Caine, Kami Garcia, Nancy Holder, Gillian Philip & Jane Yolen, and reached #2 in Amazon Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Anthologies.
Henry is a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI). He participates in literature panels at a variety of conventions, including San Diego Comic-Con and WonderCon. Henry reviews children’s books for the San Francisco Book Review and the San Diego Book Review.
In April, Henry began offering indie publishing services (details here).