We are a group of writers and editors dedicated to improving our skills and helping others do the same since 1979. Please join us at our regular meetings on the fourth Monday of each month. Guests are welcome to attend. A $5 donation is requested.
Anthology Launch Featured in November
The SDWEG general member meeting on November 26 will be devoted to the unveiling and release of The Guilded Pen, 2018. This is the 7th edition of the Guild’s anthology, containing 69 entries: short stories, essays, and poems—the work of 48 contributors.
We are grateful to efforts of Simone Arias and Ruth Wallace as the anthology’s editors, Marcia Buompensiero, managing editor, and the reviewers and proofers who labored to bring this anthology to completion. At the November meeting, the 315-page, softcover book will be on sale. The Guild produces the anthology as a fundraiser to help carry on its mission to promote and support the writing arts in San Diego.
As in the past, the heart of the meeting will be readings of a number of the stories and poems by the authors. Our writers submitted a fascinating array of topics. They shared their memoir tales of sacrifice and triumph, their imaginative short stories that tickle, amuse, and inspire, or shock with bone-chilling possibilities. They provoke thought with introspective essays. They bare their souls with sensitive, imaginative poetry. Within the anthology pages, writers, the everyday chroniclers of life and living, share their art. They turn words on a page into a living, breathing, thing—an idea to spark the human imagination.
Join us on November 26 for an exciting evening and pick up a copy. Then, take a moment. Sit back. Shed the day's cares and let your mind go wandering. Between the pages of a good book is where the magic begins.
The Marketing Support Group meets at 5:30, before the regular meeting, now in the Harbor Room across the hall from our regular meeting room. Join the group under the leadership of SDWEG member, author, and marketing specialist, Sara Jones. We meet at the San Diego County Health Services Center, 3851 Rosecrans, San Diego, CA 92110.
. . . to promote, support, and encourage the writing art for adults and youth. The anthology is a fund-raising project with all proceeds helping the Guild continue in that effort. A collaborative partner in the larger San Diego writing community since 1979.
Some of our outreach projects include:
* Speakers Bureau – professionals are available for presentations to groups in San Diego County. Topics include creative and non-fiction writing and marketing published work.
* Manuscript Review – members may submit up to 30 pages of a novel, short fiction or memoir for evaluation/critique by the Guild's Recommendation Committee. An SDWEG rating is assigned which can be used when contacting agents, editors, and publishers.
* Marketing Support Group – members are invited to come an hour early on each meeting day in order to join the discussion on marketing tips that work, don't work, or to get advice from other writers.
* Online references and resources for writers on our website.
* Monthly meetings with guest speakers addressing timely topics on writing/publishing.
* Monthly newsletter, The Writer's Life.