We are a group of writers and editors dedicated to improving our skills and helping others do the same since 1979. Please join us at our regular meetings on the fourth Monday of each month. Guests are welcome to attend. A $5 donation is requested.
Jean Forsythe of the San Diego Book Awards presents in March 2018
Join us March 26 to learn about the San Diego Book Awards (SBDA) program from Jean Forsythe, SDBA president since 2015. Jean and members of her SDBA team, Tiffany Vakilian and Aida Dennehey, will update us on the work of the SDBA and its efforts to promote and reward local authors.
Jean Forsythe has won four writing awards including Best Unpublished Novel for Children from the San Diego Book Awards (2007). Since then, she has completed four novels, published several short pieces, and is currently working on a cozy mystery series.
Jean lives in Oceanside with her four kids who, along with her human daughter, Diane, and grandson, Cole, are her biggest inspirations.
Our Marketing Support Group meetings will return in January. The group meets at 5:30 p.m., ahead of our regular meetings, in the same room at the San Diego Health Services Center.
We meet at the San Diego County Health Services Center, 3851 Rosecrans, San Diego, CA 92110.
Note: The Marketing Support Group will meet at 5:30 p.m., before the regular meeting. Anyone interested in sharing or learning about marketing tips is welcome to attend.
. . . to promote, support, and encourage the writing art for adults and youth. The anthology is a fund-raising project with all proceeds helping the Guild continue in that effort. A collaborative partner in the larger San Diego writing community since 1979.
Some of our outreach projects include:
* Speakers Bureau – professionals are available for presentations to groups in San Diego County. Topics include creative and non-fiction writing and marketing published work.
* Manuscript Review – members may submit up to 30 pages of a novel, short fiction or memoir for evaluation/critique by the Guild's Recommendation Committee. An SDWEG rating is assigned which can be used when contacting agents, editors, and publishers.
* Marketing Support Group – members are invited to come an hour early on each meeting day in order to join the discussion on marketing tips that work, don't work, or to get advice from other writers.
* Online references and resources for writers on our website.
* Monthly meetings with guest speakers addressing timely topics on writing/publishing.
* Monthly newsletter, The Writer's Life.