We are a group of writers and editors dedicated to improving our skills and helping others do the same since 1979. Please join us at our regular meetings on the fourth Monday of each month. Guests are welcome to attend. A $5 donation is requested.
Jonathan LaPoma on Screenwriting in October
Jonathan LaPoma is an award-winning novelist, screenwriter, songwriter, and poet from Buffalo, NY. In 2005, he received a BA in history and a secondary education credential from the State University of New York at Geneseo, and he traveled extensively throughout the United States and Mexico after graduating. These experiences have become the inspiration for much of his writing, which often explores themes of alienation and misery as human constructions that can be overcome through self-understanding and the acceptance of suffering.
His eight screenplays have won over 80 awards/honors at various international screenwriting competitions, and his novel DEVELOPING MINDS: AN AMERICAN GHOST STORY won the 2015 Stargazer Literary Prizes for best Visionary and Metaphysical Fiction. He lives in San Diego and teaches at a public secondary school.
Join us Monday, October 24, for his presentation. Keep in mind that October has five Mondays and we meet on the fourth, not the last, Monday of each month.
. . . to promote, support, and encourage the writing art for adults and youth. The anthology is a fund-raising project with all proceeds helping the Guild continue in that effort. A collaborative partner in the larger San Diego writing community since 1979.
Some of our outreach projects include:
* Speakers Bureau – professionals are available for presentations to groups in San Diego County. Topics include creative and non-fiction writing and marketing published work.
* Manuscript Review – members may submit up to 30 pages of a novel, short fiction or memoir for evaluation/critique by the Guild’s Recommendation Committee. An SDWEG rating is assigned which can be used when contacting agents, editors, and publishers.
* Online references and resources for writers on our website.
* Current calendar of local literary community activities and events.
* Monthly meetings with guest speakers addressing timely topics on writing/publishing.