We are a group of writers and editors dedicated to improving our skills and helping others do the same since 1979. Please join us at our regular meetings on the fourth Monday of each month. Guests are welcome to attend. A $5 donation is requested.
Panel of Editors – August 27
SD/PEN Members Isabella Furth, Erin Willard, and Chris Zook Present
Our August meeting is devoted to what happens after the writing ends–or more precisely before the rewriting ends: editing. If you haven’t considered the many benefits of having a developmental editor look at your work during the writing process as well as a copy editor, line editor, and proofreader provide professional advice to get to the best possible final product, this meeting is for you.
San Diego Professional Editors Network (SD/PEN) President Chris Zook and two members of SD/PEN’s Board of Directors, Erin Willard and Isabella Furth, will explain the different types of editing and answer your questions about how to go about finding an editor, specifying what you expect from the editing process, and a hint or two of what you should expect to pay for each type of editing.
The Marketing Support Group meets at 5:30, before the regular meeting. Join the group under the new leadership of SDWEG member, author, and marketing specialist, Sara Jones. We meet at the San Diego County Health Services Center, 3851 Rosecrans, San Diego, CA 92110.
. . . to promote, support, and encourage the writing art for adults and youth. The anthology is a fund-raising project with all proceeds helping the Guild continue in that effort. A collaborative partner in the larger San Diego writing community since 1979.
Some of our outreach projects include:
* Speakers Bureau – professionals are available for presentations to groups in San Diego County. Topics include creative and non-fiction writing and marketing published work.
* Manuscript Review – members may submit up to 30 pages of a novel, short fiction or memoir for evaluation/critique by the Guild’s Recommendation Committee. An SDWEG rating is assigned which can be used when contacting agents, editors, and publishers.
* Marketing Support Group – members are invited to come an hour early on each meeting day in order to join the discussion on marketing tips that work, don’t work, or to get advice from other writers.
* Online references and resources for writers on our website.
* Monthly meetings with guest speakers addressing timely topics on writing/publishing.
* Monthly newsletter, The Writer’s Life.