We are a group of writers and editors dedicated to improving our skills and helping others do the same since 1979. Please join us at our regular meetings on the fourth Monday of each month. Guests are welcome to attend. A $5 donation is requested.
Marketing and Branding Consultant Leon Lazarus Presents in January
Our presenter for our first meeting in 2019 on Monday, January 28, will be Leon Lazarus, owner of CalBrand, a marketing and branding consulting firm. His presentation will focus on the importance of creating effective email messages in any marketing campaign.
After studying Journalism and New Media at Rhodes University in South Africa, Leon Lazarus developed a career in corporate communications and marketing. He worked with many of the largest corporations on the African sub-continent. After emigrating to the United States in 2000 he led the team that created the timepiece brand worn by both President Obama and the Secret Service. In 2006 he settled in San Diego where he and a team of seasoned marketers took a casino from near bankruptcy to a billion dollar valuation. In 2009 he and his wife Leora founded Play To Learn, a free program that provided a preschool education to families that fell into the gap left by Head Start. Leon now runs CalBrand, a marketing and branding consultancy.
Leon's 30 years of corporate communications and marketing experience has made him a wild-eyed evangelist for marketing automation systems. He is a firm believer in the power of email to drive engagement and revenue.
We meet at the San Diego County Health Services Center at 3851 Rosecrans, San Diego, CA. Registration begins at 6:30 p.m. with a short business meeting following at 6:45 p.m. The presentation will begin at 7:00 p.m.
Guild members are also invited to take part in a Marketing Support Group which meets at 5:30 p.m. at the same location, in the Harbor Room, across the hall from our usual meeting room. Due to its popularity, we have had to limit the Marketing Support meeting to Guild members.
Guild’s Mission. . . to promote, support, and encourage the writing art for adults and youth. The anthology is a fund-raising project with all proceeds helping the Guild continue in that effort. A collaborative partner in the larger San Diego writing community since 1979.
Some of our outreach projects include:
* Manuscript Review – members may submit up to 30 pages of a novel, short fiction or memoir for evaluation/critique by the Guild's Recommendation Committee. An SDWEG rating is assigned which can be used when contacting agents, editors, and publishers.
* Marketing Support Group – members are invited to come an hour early on each meeting day in order to join the discussion on marketing tips that work, don't work, or to get advice from other writers.
* Online references and resources for writers on our website.
* Monthly meetings with guest speakers addressing timely topics on writing/publishing.
* Monthly newsletter, The Writer's Life.