We are a group of writers and editors dedicated to improving our skills and helping others do the same since 1979. Please join us at our regular meetings on the fourth Monday of each month. Guests are welcome to attend. A $5 donation is requested.
Richard Lederer Presents in October
Richard Lederer, author of 50 books about language, history, and humor, including his best-selling Anguished English series and his bouncing baby book, The Joy of Names, will be guest speaker at the October 22 meeting.
Sharing highlights from his newest book, The Joy of Names, Lederer will explore how first names came about and what they mean, why we acquired last names and nicknames, how and why people change their names, hidden patterns of presidents' names, and how proper names from history and literature become lowercase words that populate our everyday vocabulary.
Dr. Lederer’s books about language, history, and humor, including his best-selling Anguished English series and his Amazing Words, Lederer on Language, and Monsters Unchained, have informed and entertained millions of readers over the years. He is also a founding co-host of “A Way with Words” on KPBS Public Radio. His “Lederer on Language” column appears each Saturday in the San Diego Union-Tribune. Dr. Lederer has been named International Punster of the Year and Toastmasters International’s Golden Gavel winner.
Join us, Monday, October 22, for Lederer’s informative, challenging, entertaining—never dull—presentation!
The Marketing Support Group meets at 5:30, before the regular meeting, now in the Harbor Room across the hall from our regular meeting room. Join the group under the leadership of SDWEG member, author, and marketing specialist, Sara Jones. We meet at the San Diego County Health Services Center, 3851 Rosecrans, San Diego, CA 92110.
. . . to promote, support, and encourage the writing art for adults and youth. The anthology is a fund-raising project with all proceeds helping the Guild continue in that effort. A collaborative partner in the larger San Diego writing community since 1979.
Some of our outreach projects include:
* Speakers Bureau – professionals are available for presentations to groups in San Diego County. Topics include creative and non-fiction writing and marketing published work.
* Manuscript Review – members may submit up to 30 pages of a novel, short fiction or memoir for evaluation/critique by the Guild's Recommendation Committee. An SDWEG rating is assigned which can be used when contacting agents, editors, and publishers.
* Marketing Support Group – members are invited to come an hour early on each meeting day in order to join the discussion on marketing tips that work, don't work, or to get advice from other writers.
* Online references and resources for writers on our website.
* Monthly meetings with guest speakers addressing timely topics on writing/publishing.
* Monthly newsletter, The Writer's Life.