We are a group of writers and editors dedicated to improving our skills and helping others do the same since 1979. Please join us at our regular meetings on the fourth Monday of each month. Guests are welcome to attend. Guests are charged $5.
Jared Kuritz Presents in September
Jared Kuritz is a managing partner of STRATEGIES Public Relations, a firm that works with domestic and international clients on literary development and publishing, business modeling, and public relations and marketing. Jared is also the Director of the La Jolla Writers Conference—an annual three-day immersion that educates attendees about the art, craft, and business of writing and publishing. Jared is the co-publisher of NightStand Press, placing great books in the hands of avid readers. Jared is also the founder of the Kops-Fetherling Book Awards. A regular contributor to IBPA, BEA, Tucson Festival of Books, and more, Jared enjoys sharing his expertise with members of the writing community.
Title: Publishing Demystified
Description: Publishing has never been more accessible or more confusing. This presentation will introduce the various publishing options, including cost/benefit analysis of each, how to decide what makes the most sense for you, and an open Q&A.
Registration for the meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. with the readings beginning at 7 p.m.
We meet at the San Diego County Health Services Center at 3851 Rosecrans, San Diego, CA. Registration begins at 6:30 p.m. with a short business meeting following at 6:45 p.m. The presentation will begin at 7:00 p.m.
Guild members are also invited to take part in a Marketing Support Group which meets at 5:30 p.m. at the same location, in the Harbor Room, across the hall from our usual meeting room. Due to its popularity, we have had to limit the Marketing Support meeting to Guild members.
. . . to promote, support, and encourage the writing art for adults and youth. The anthology is a fund-raising project with all proceeds helping the Guild continue in that effort. A collaborative partner in the larger San Diego writing community since 1979.
Some of our outreach projects include:
* Manuscript Review – members may submit up to 30 pages of a novel, short fiction or memoir for evaluation/critique by the Guild's Recommendation Committee. An SDWEG rating is assigned which can be used when contacting agents, editors, and publishers.
* Marketing Support Group – members are invited to come an hour early on each meeting day in order to join the discussion on marketing tips that work, don't work, or to get advice from other writers.
* Online references and resources for writers on our website.
* Monthly meetings with guest speakers addressing timely topics on writing/publishing.
* Monthly newsletter, The Writer's Life.