We are a group of writers and editors dedicated to improving our skills and helping others do the same since 1979. Please join us at our regular meetings on the fourth Monday of each month. Guests are welcome to attend. Guests are charged $5. So long as we are unable to hold our meetings in person, guests are welcome to participate at no cost.
Our July Program Is Our Annual Open Mic Night
It's baack. The shut down in response to COVID-19 cancelled our March Open Mic Night. In July, we're bringing it back.
Our roster of readers is full, and we've got a waitlist of those ready to step in if a scheduled speaker needs to drop out.
We'll provide the means for audience members to share their feedback with the readers, though it won't be our traditional brown paper bags and index cards. The link to the list of presenters and how to respond to them will be included with the Zoom invitation.
The invitation with the Zoom address will be sent to all members the week before the meeting. Guests who wish to attend should send a message to email@example.com by Friday, July 24, to request an invitation.
We begin each monthly meeting with an optional Marketing Support Group meeting at 5:30 p.m. The same Zoom session will continue for the regular meeting, which begins at 6:30 p.m. for signing in and informal networking. A short business meeting will begin at 6:45 p.m., and the program follows at 7 p.m.
Both the Marketing Support Group meeting and the regular meeting will be livestreamed to Facebook for another viewing option. The sessions will be available to view later on Facebook with the most recently regular meeting also being posted on this page.
June Meeting: Costs, Royalties, and How To Make Back Your Investment with Susie Schaefer
Below is the recording of the Zoom session from June 22.
. . . to promote, support, and encourage the writing art for adults and youth. The anthology is a fund-raising project with all proceeds helping the Guild continue in that effort. A collaborative partner in the larger San Diego writing community since 1979.
Some of our outreach projects include:
* Manuscript Review – members may submit up to 30 pages of a novel, short fiction or memoir for evaluation/critique by the Guild's Recommendation Committee. An SDWEG rating is assigned which can be used when contacting agents, editors, and publishers.
* Marketing Support Group – members are invited to come an hour early on each meeting day in order to join the discussion on marketing tips that work, don't work, or to get advice from other writers.
* Online references and resources for writers on our website.
* Monthly meetings with guest speakers addressing timely topics on writing/publishing.
* Members Only Discussion Board.
* Monthly newsletter, The Writer's Life.