We are a group of writers and editors dedicated to improving our skills and helping others do the same since 1979. Please join us at our regular meetings on the fourth Monday of each month. Guests are welcome to attend. A $5 donation is requested.
January Speaker: Paula Margulies
Paula Margulies is an author and the owner of Paula Margulies Communications, a public relations firm for authors and artists. She has received numerous awards for her fiction and nonfiction, including her book publicity handbook, The Tao of Book Publicity: A Beginner’s Guide to Book Promotion, her debut novel, Coyote Heart, her historical novel, Favorite Daughter, Part One, and her short story collection, Face Value: Collected Stories. Margulies is a contributor to Author Magazine, the San Diego Examiner, and The Feisty Writer and has been awarded artist residencies at Caldera, Red Cinder Artist Colony, the Vermont Studio Center, and Centrum. Margulies resides in San Diego, California. For more information, please visit http://www.paulamargulies.com.
The Tao of Book Publicity: Book Promotion Strategies that Work!
In this workshop, book publicist Paula Margulies will cover techniques that help authors successfully promote their publications. Workshop topics include: how to build an author platform, guidelines for creating blog tours, how to set up a successful speaking tour, and how to obtain interviews with the media. Margulies will also discuss social media, book pricing and promos, and building an engaging author website, along with how to develop targeted publicity material, including front and back cover text, press releases, and Q&As, and tips for creating newsletter and media lists. Margulies is also happy to answer questions about practical topics such as publicity costs, timing, and considerations when hiring a publicist.
We meet at the San Diego County Health Services Center, 3851 Rosecrans, San Diego, CA 92110.
Note: The Marketing Support Group will resume meeting at 5:30 p.m., before the regular meeting, in January 2018. Anyone interested in sharing or learning about marketing tips is welcome to attend.
. . . to promote, support, and encourage the writing art for adults and youth. The anthology is a fund-raising project with all proceeds helping the Guild continue in that effort. A collaborative partner in the larger San Diego writing community since 1979.
Some of our outreach projects include:
* Speakers Bureau – professionals are available for presentations to groups in San Diego County. Topics include creative and non-fiction writing and marketing published work.
* Manuscript Review – members may submit up to 30 pages of a novel, short fiction or memoir for evaluation/critique by the Guild's Recommendation Committee. An SDWEG rating is assigned which can be used when contacting agents, editors, and publishers.
* Marketing Support Group – members are invited to come an hour early on each meeting day in order to join the discussion on marketing tips that work, don't work, or to get advice from other writers.
* Online references and resources for writers on our website.
* Monthly meetings with guest speakers addressing timely topics on writing/publishing.
* Monthly newsletter, The Writer's Life.