We are a group of writers and editors dedicated to improving our skills and helping others do the same since 1979. Please join us at our regular meetings on the fourth Monday of each month. Guests are welcome to attend. Guests are charged $5.
July is Open Mic Night
July 22, Open Mic Night, is your night. Here’s your opportunity to come share a fun evening where each reader is allotted 3 minutes to read a selection from their writings - it might be a snippet from a novel, a short story, or poetry, and to receive written feedback from other members and guests.
If you would like to be included on the list of readers, please send your request to our Open Mic Coordinator, Laurie Asher at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, July 5. This is always the most looked to event of the year. We’d like to encourage your attendance and to support your fellow writers.
The opportunity to read your work is limited to members. We invite guests to provide feedback to the readers.
Registration for the meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. with the readings beginning at 7 p.m.
We meet at the San Diego County Health Services Center at 3851 Rosecrans, San Diego, CA. Registration begins at 6:30 p.m. with a short business meeting following at 6:45 p.m. The presentation will begin at 7:00 p.m.
Guild members are also invited to take part in a Marketing Support Group which meets at 5:30 p.m. at the same location, in the Harbor Room, across the hall from our usual meeting room. Due to its popularity, we have had to limit the Marketing Support meeting to Guild members.
. . . to promote, support, and encourage the writing art for adults and youth. The anthology is a fund-raising project with all proceeds helping the Guild continue in that effort. A collaborative partner in the larger San Diego writing community since 1979.
Some of our outreach projects include:
* Manuscript Review – members may submit up to 30 pages of a novel, short fiction or memoir for evaluation/critique by the Guild's Recommendation Committee. An SDWEG rating is assigned which can be used when contacting agents, editors, and publishers.
* Marketing Support Group – members are invited to come an hour early on each meeting day in order to join the discussion on marketing tips that work, don't work, or to get advice from other writers.
* Online references and resources for writers on our website.
* Monthly meetings with guest speakers addressing timely topics on writing/publishing.
* Monthly newsletter, The Writer's Life.